Thursday, February 8, 2007

Serendipity

At the end of January I planned to go to an event with my sister. I spent the night at her house and woke to a cold, windy, rainy day. Not a bad thing, except for the fact that the event was scheduled outside, in a field, on a hill, early in the morning. The organizers canceled. My first reaction was disappointment.

Before I walked outside and appreciated the wisdom of the cancelation, I considered my options: go home early (too boring), stay all day and whine about the cancelation (too whiny), think of something else that would be fun to do (fun is good!). I decided to go with the flow and see what happened.

After a tasty breakfast, we sat and brainstormed. And the winner was . . . The Polk Museum of Art.

It had been a while since I'd visited a museum, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. They have a delightful collection of Pre-Columbian art including bowls, whistles, jars and numerous figures. This was my favorite piece:


In addition to the permanent collection, the works of "Two of Central Florida’s best painters -- James Michaels and Gary Bolding" were on display. Very inspiring stuff.

There is a virtual tour of James Michaels' work here.

Dr. Bolding is an art professor at Stetson University in DeLand, Florida. His work will be on display at the UCF Art Gallery in Orlando from February 1 through March 2. If you are in the area, I highly recommend that you go.

You might enjoy reading the graduation speech he gave at Stetson in December, 1998. I found it witty and quite entertaining.

So what did I learn this time? Go with the flow and you will enjoy the journey.

No comments: